The Formation of Aspirations
This is a lab-in-the-field experiment in rural Senegal, sponsored by the World Bank, in which we are exploring how aspirations are formed, what are the channels that help to model them and what is the relative role of personal and social factors in forming aspirations. The experiment took place in September 2018. The registry number is: AEARCTR-0003336 .
Decentralization and Découpage in the Democratic Republic of the Congo
Two-year grant from ODI/ SLRC in the U.K. that started in 2017 and that is led by Pierre Englebert. This research project looks that at the effects that a shock, such as découpage, has on the development of state capacity and the improvement of livelihoods in the DRC.
- Provincial Tribalization: The transformation of ethnic representativeness under decentralization of the DRC. (With Pierre Englebert and Lisa J. Piergallini).
- Tribulations Tribales: Estimations démographiques commentées des éthnies congolaises par nouvelles provinces. (With Pierre Englebert)
- Découpage and Conflict in the DRC
- Ingrained state or a state in grains? The construction of sub-national capacity in Congo
Violence and Prosperity in Mexico
In this project, developed for my dissertation, I explore the effects of drug-related violence in Mexico on the welfare of the population and the role that the strength of the state plays to shield the population from the violence.
Latest draft: Draft_May-2019
Structure of the Tails of Commodity Returns
This project looks at the distribution of commodity returns economic expansions and recessions. Using bootstrapping techniques, it elucidates whether the right or left tail is fatter and whether tails are fatter during expansions or during recession periods. (With Pierangelo De Pace)
- A. Bezares, Yi Feng, Z. Gao (2016), ”A Comparative Study of U.S. and China’s Trade in Latin America”, The Quarterly of Latin American Economy and Trade , Vol. 27, pp.4-18.
Other Working Papers
- “NAFTA’s Opportunities: Economic Openness, Political Competition, and the Development of Bureaucratic Capacity in Mexico’s States”; (with Melissa Rogers); 2016.
- “Volatility in Commodity Prices and its Effects on Poverty and Inequality in Latin America,”; presented in the International Seminar Challenges to the State: New Political and Economic Actors in Latin America , Santiago, Chile, Mar 2015.
- “Plan de Desarrollo para la Zona Económica Estatal del Río Sonora 2018-2032”; (With Erik Lee. Commissioned by the North American Development Bank and the state of Sonora, Mexico.)
- “In the National Interest: The U.S. Presidential Permit Process, Cross-border Trade and the U.S. Economy“; (with Erik Lee and Rick Van Schoik); North American Research Partnership; 2016.
- “Competitive Border Communities: Mapping and Developing U.S-Mexico Transborder Industries“; (with Cristopher Wilson and Erik Lee); Woodrow Wilson Center; 2015.